[IRCA] Expanded band early loggings

I just took a look back thru my expanded band QSLs. I did QSL the 1995
KUSA digital tests on 1660 from Las Vegas. They were an easy catch
running 10 KW day and night with virtually no competing signals. I
received two QSLs for KUSA - an actual commercially printed QSL card
from USA Digital Chief Engineer Jeff Andrew and an 8 1/2 x 11 computer
printed certificate from Engineer/Station Operator Matthew Lunati.

But I believe my first X-band QSL from a regular broadcast station was
from KXBT/1640 heard shortly after they signed on March 19, 1996. I was
on duty at the fire station and received them here in Denver on the car
radio in a Ford ambulance. The QSL mentioned that they were the first
expanded band station west of NJ. However, I didn't manage to log NJ
until I received WTTM on 1680 in 2002. I did log WMDM/1690 in MD in
1999.

I presently have 54 expanded band QSLs from 23 US states and 1 Mexican
state.

I was one of the few who managed to get a QSL for KALT in TX during the
short time that they operated on 1610 in December 2000. I'd sure like to
log one of the Canadians on 1610.

Patrick Griffith, Westminster CO
Broadcast Technician
NRC Broadcasting - Denver