Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] Re: HD on WXXI

I also caught the replay last night.. well done Scott...!!

I am not dipping my foot into the IBOC discussion, but the show was well done and I enjoyed it.

In order for anything to succeed, the information MUST get to the general public. That's what this show was all about.

Lee Freshwater
Ocala, FL
www.bgs.cc

Scott Fybush <scott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Glenn Hauser wrote:
> I caught the playback. The guests from WXXI and Clear Channel were only there
> to promote HD, and it was left to some listeners to bring up drawbacks. Such as
> power-hogging making portable HD receivers untenable, FM HD range being limited
> compared to the analog signal. Not even Scott brought up the imminent prospect
> of nighttime IBOC, to the WHAM CC guy. I still don`t get it. Here I am 1100+
> miles away hearing WXXI stream clear as a bell, and people in Brockport
> supposedly need WXXI (AM) on WXXI (FM) HD2 in order to hear it at night,
> meanwhile noising up the adjacent frequencies preventing some other stations
> from being audible. Scott said he does a tech segment during ATC discussing
> such things further (for 4 minutes?), I believe he said Wednesdays at 6:45? 73,

Since we're not running HD on our AM, and have no plans to do so,
bringing up the AM interference issues seemed a bit off-topic.

And yes, we really do have a very hard time being heard in places like
Brockport and Fairport, well within our market, thanks to an AM signal
that was designed to cover the market as it existed in 1944. Streaming
is part of the solution to that problem, but the FM HD2 simulcast may
well be a part of it, too. We'll never know if we don't try.

Adjacent frequencies? When we were out at the get-together at Jim
Renfrew's place in Clarendon (just west of Brockport, 20 miles or so
from Rochester), I had no problem at all hearing CJLX on 91.3 from
Belleville, Ontario. I can't recall if we heard anything on 91.7; if we
did, it would have been CIXL from Welland, Ontario.

The tech segment in question is called "Mixed Media"; it airs Wednesdays
at 5:44 ET during All Things Considered, and we have archives of the
segments here:

http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/wxxi/news.newsmain?action=section&SECTION_ID=2446

There's also a podcast of today's show here:

http://www.wxxi.org/radio/hd/index.html

It's true, as Glenn says, that the guests were there to promote HD.
That, after all, was the purpose of the show - if the system is to have
any chance of succeeding, it had better have some promotion from
broadcasters themselves.

The first NRC/WTFDA joint  Convention is just around the corner!
Boise Idaho Labor Day Weekend 2007
Visit http://www.nrcdxas.org for details