Re: [IRCA] TIS coverage

There are some large synchronised multi-transmitter TIS systems in TX
and other states. The County of Fort Bend TX has a system with 10 fixed
site transmitters all on 1670. They also have 2 non-synched portable
stations that can operate on 1680 or 1690. And Dow chemical in the
Village of Freeport has a system of 6 synchronized stations on 1610. But
I've never seen a report of either of these being heard at a distance.

One of the strangest TIS stations I have heard is the 2 transmitter
synchronised system on 1610 at Fort Detrick in Frederick MD. I was in
Frederick for a couple weeks at the beginning of July on an assignment
for FEMA. While I was there I hooked up with Bill Harms who was kind
enough to escort me on a bit of an AM transmitter site tour through
parts of MD, VA, WV, and PA. We even crossed the Blue Ridge Mountains
and the Shenandoah River of which John Denver once sang. And we had a
bit of an unscheduled adventure the details of which I have sworn to
never reveal! Bill pointed out to me that the Fort Detrick TIS was
transmitting in digital. When I listened they were indeed alternating
between 2 minutes of analog content and 1 minute of digital content. I
have no idea what is on the digital signal. My e-mail queries to their
public information office have gone unanswered. So digital broadcasting
has also invaded the TIS world.

Patrick Griffith, Westminster CO
Broadcast Technician
NRC Broadcasting - Denver