[IRCA] small station owner in a small market

At 10:53 PM 7/27/2007 -0700, you wrote:
>Bob,
>
>I think a small station owner in a small market, even in today's world
>has some merit. I would not want to work in a big market. But maybe a
>station really out of the way like Burns or Lakeview Oregon, Barrow
>Alaska, Ely Nevada, off the beaten path. I am sure a person would be
>married to the station. I used to work for KVAS Astoria. It was owned by
>Chuck Farmer (now gone), but he "lived" at the station it seemed.
>Sometimes it would drive his wife nuts. She had no interest in
>broadcasting as far as I know, but small market radio can still be fun.
>Here in Clatsop County, the market (don't laugh) would be too big for me
>as there are too many stations (11 in a market of under 50K), but some
>really small market would be fun I think.
>
>73,
>
>Patrick

Patrick and Bob,

We're forgetting just such a station and just such a market: Our own
Paul B Walker, operator of WABV-1590 Abbeville, South Carolina.

Maybe we ought to be asking Paul more business questions about the
station.

Paul "lives in" at the station, and unless he has a helper, I suppose
he's also chief janitor, toilet cleaner, and host to people who come
to gawk at the station.

I think of Paul's situation very often. I'm hoping he makes the station
"pay."

73,

Charles

   Charles A Taylor, WD4INP