Re: [IRCA] KGA : "The Big 15"

Hi Stan:

    How are things in Spokane? I was back there in May for my daughter's
wedding, it was a quick trip, and I did not have much time for anything
else. I hope to get back there next spring.

    I am spelunking in the FCC records for Spokane stations which are
held by the National Archives in College Park. There is a lot of
interesting stuff. I am up to about 1964 with KGA. You are exactly
correct, KGA had a lot of financial difficulties over the years, despite
their 50 kW status. At one point in the early 1960's, the folks KCFA
1330 tried unsuccessfully to buy KGA so they could put their format on
at night. At the time, the owners of KGA were desperately trying to sell
the station.

 They had some good years too. I know they were a success when they had
the country format, but didn't the FM take over the country ratings, and
about that time, talk radio was starting up on AM?

Bill Harms
History of Spokane Radio
http://spokane.philcobill.com