Re: [IRCA] KPOJ 620 & KFXX 1080 = 1700

Dennis wrote:
Notice a strange happening while driving in the area of the KEX-KPOJ
antennas.  KPOJ 620 & KFXX 1080 are heard on 1700 kHz, both about
equal strengths.

Charles A. Taylor wrote:
Nothing strange about it. The two stations' frequencies are being
"mixed" somewhere, probably at the stations.

Another example was a very potent KIRO signal on 830 created by its
proximity to KTTH-770. It was clean audio and sounded like any other
station as it mixed with CKKY, occasionally with KNCO and rarely with
WCCO. A couple of months ago, KIRO signed off in order to clean it
up, allowing me to log KSPN and KFIA. Bruce Portzer told the list
about the KIRO signoff but we never got an explanation of exactly
what they did from either Bruce or the engineer whose name he cited.
My guess would be that they installed some sort of suppression
componentry on 1480. Also, there was a low-level pulsing sound on 710
during some of the off time which seemed to be coming from KIRO. I
recorded it and sent a CD of it to the same engineer. It would have
been interesting to find out how much power was being used. KIRO is
six miles from here so picking up a dummy load signal is not
impossible when using a Kiwa loop. The point is that KIRO was
sensitive about this problem and fixed it on their own.

Pete Taylor
Tacoma, WA
12225w 4719n
ICF2010 + Kiwa air core loop