[IRCA] Of QSLing, KFQD, Costa Rica & "Z Man"

At 10:23 AM 7/17/2007 -0700, you wrote:
>Charlie,
>
>There are a few of us that go to about any length to get that QSL.
>    John Z....? I may have, but I don't remember for sure.
>73,
>Patrick

Patrick,

I recognize successful QSLing as an artform in itself. That's why
I admire your dedication.

When I logged KFQD back in 3/31/63 @ 0211 (I was a highschooler at
the time), it was a Monday morning.

I typed a report without awakening my parents (no door on my room)
and took it unsealed to the USPO on the way to school. Put special
delivery postage on the report envelope and ALSO on the return
envelope, and into the airmail bin!

The verie letter and QSL was in our mail that following Friday!

Also, I wrote a report (in SS) to (then) TISRHB-1125 San José,
Costa Rica. Got a verie letter from the station's secretary
(she was the daughter of the owner, R H Barahona).

Few days later I got a letter from the secretary's daughter,
Sheila. Her mom thought she would enjoy corresponding with a
norteamericano. We corresponded for years. My age. Could very
well have led to marriage. Sent her pix. A gorgeous blonde.

But Vietnam War intervened and I ceased writing to her.

By the way, folks, Costa Rica is a stable, democratic, very
literate country like the US and Canada. Look at the WRTH &
note that there something like 15, 250-w community access
AM stations at the top of the dial in Costa Rica. One in
each major city.

John Z.... is John Zorger ("Z Man") who used to work at VOA's
NCC in WASHDC. A real satellite guru. He quit and set up his
own firm. IBB contracted w/him to go to all the IBB stations
and instruct the techs on satellite comms in general, and IBB's
satellite comms in particular. Bald as a baby's bottom.

Enough huffing and puffing for now!

Charles

   Charles A Taylor, WD4INP
  Greenville, North Carolina