Re: [IRCA] Powell the (non) pirate

Mike,

> Field strength measured in V/m vs. distance from the
> radiator is a
> straight inverse, rather than an inverse square,
> isn't it?

Yep, you are right. When field strength is measured in
mv's per square meter, then it is the INVERSE square
law. If mv's are measured per meter, then it is just
the inverse reduction (straight line as us accountants
would say).

As I am thinking about all of this, I believe the
inverse square law would apply to isotropic radiators,
the so-called 'perfect antenna' that transmits evenly
in all directions. But in the real world, almost all
antennas have some sort of pattern (usually flat and
to a degree circular) and it is in this instance that
that the inverse reduction would occur.

Idon't have the meausrement tools, but I would guess
that for 100 mv at 30 meters would be roughly 1 watt
at the source.

Thank you for challenging me on this one, there are
always new concepts to learn with radios.

73 de Joe Miller, AB8YP, Troy, MI