[IRCA] Fwd: CFB (Compact Florescent Bulbs) - Revisited

[IRCA] Fwd: CFB (Compact Florescent Bulbs) - Revisited

This is from my son, the physics major and UW Henley rower, and is in
response to Mike Hardester's comments on CFLs:
Begin forwarded message:

> From what I read of the post, it most seems like hearsay or wives
> tales. CFL bulbs operate at 2x 60Hz (as do the "standard"
> fluorescent bulbs) i.e. 120 Hz. This is not by choice, but rather a
> result of grid power at 60 Hz. In the UK and other countries using
> 50 Hz. power, perhaps the statement about operating frequency may
> be marginally true (again, operating at 2x grid frequency -> 2x 50
> Hz = 100 Hz). These effects are generally similar to waving one's
> finger in front of a TV and noting the lines: a stroboscopic
> effect. This has long been known in psychiatric and theatrical
> circles to cause seizures, however, the frequency is rather specific.
>
> Older CRT (non- LCD) monitors operating below 70 Hz refresh rate
> were known to cause headaches due to the perceived "flashing" by
> some. This phenomena, however, was not across the board by any means.
>
> Faulty or miswired (meaning out-of-phase) ballasts may have lead to
> further issues with fluorescent bulbs etc.
>
> The biggest issue that CFL bulbs pose on the urban front is a
> terrible power factor. This affects the energy paid for at the
> meter (low power factor benefits the utility generally) as well as
> that generated.

Not being technically inclined, refined, or of mind, I am simply
acting as a conduit.

Pete Taylor
Tacoma, WA
12225w 4719n