Re: [IRCA] Antenna Soldering, revisited

At 08:28 PM 6/25/2007 -0700, you wrote:
>Charles,
>
>Will a Western Union splice last as long as a soldered one.?

Patrick,

Of course it will. How long will copper last? Just be sure you
throw enough wraps that the splice won't part.

OK with tape, but if you want to seal against water invasion,
use some of that tape that amalgamates into a solid mass.

Don't know the name. Other subscribers please advise. RadioShark
has it, me thinks.

>I always
>fiqured soldering a splice and then covering it with good electrical
>plastic tape was the best way to go.

Soldering? Why bother!? If back in the old days of copper they didn't
solder, why must you?

>With the wet and windy weather I
>don't want to end up with a bad splice in the storms. We have wind gusts
>to 120 MPH out here at times. With a soldered splice, there is no way
>that will work loose in time.

Yeah, back to square one: How to solder out there in the field.

With enough laps, the splice is stronger than the rest of the wire!

Think about it for a spell.

73,

>Patrick

Now go out there and DO it!