Re: [IRCA] Dxing from Vancouver Island

At 18:26 24/06/2007, you wrote:
>Hi
>
>In mid-July I'll be spending a few days on the west coast of Vancouver
>Island - Tofino and Ucluelet. I live in the Toronto area and this will be my
>first visit to the west coast. I'll have a Kaito 1103 with its built in whip
>antenna with me.

On this list, Colin Newell may have suggestions, as he goes up to the
Long Beach area more than I do.   Patrick's TP suggestions are good,
and particularly on the upper band, Asiatics are possible in July,
from about 1045 to 1200UT (0345 to 0500 Pacific daylight time).  I
might add to his list the Russian longwave stations on 153, 180, 189 and 279.

As for down unders, particularly if geomagnetic conditions are
unsettled,  also try Australia on 612 and 1548 (though that has no
been so common in the last few years).  Fiji on 639 is possible; 738
will deliver a het from Tahiti for sure not too long after sunset,
but audio is hard to come by.  Tonga on 1017 signs off at 1110UT
according to the Pacific Asian Log (grab a copy from
http://www.radioheritage.net/PAL.asp if you don't already have
it).   Generally the Aussies peak around local sunrise in July, after
the Asians have faded, if there were any.   Sometimes, New Zealand
can fade in around their local sunset, as can Hawaii and the Pacific Islands.

The Kaito is a great little radio even using just its internal loop,
so some of these might be possible.

Good luck, and enjoy the area there.

best wishes,

Nick