[IRCA] St. Helens Day Trip

Hello All,

     Curious about the northern limit of KOHI-1600's  daytime coverage, I was
able to persuade the family to visit the part  of Oregon closest to here
(which, naturally, includes St. Helens).

     With a Sony ICF-S5W portable, KOHI's strength was  checked at various
points going south along I-5 (here in Washington).   Inaudible in Olympia (only
KVRI), KOHI made its first appearance in  Centralia, weakly mixing with KVRI
and KOPT (all about the same weak  strength). At the I-5 rest area just north
of Castle Rock, KOHI was the  dominant station on 1600, over KOPT and KVRI
(which had almost faded  out).  Despite this, KOHI could not be received on the
Toyota car radio  until we were south of Rainier, Oregon, about 15 miles from
St.  Helens.

     The entire area around St. Helens is very  beautiful, with the Columbia
River scenery and mountain views, and is well worth  a trip (even if one has
no interest in KOHI).  The collection of HAS  stations along I-5 was also very
interesting.

                      73, Gary