Re: [IRCA] KXTO QRSS

Pete Taylor wrote:
> Some of us can't tell QRSS from Shinola so if someone could explain
> what it means to me as I attempt to tune the station in without the
> benefit of a spectrum analyzer, that would be great. I believe I read
> that the call letters would be sent via QRSS over a three minute
> period. Does this mean an audible het will be produced at 1547.5 and
> 1552.5 or is this something that can only be seen on a scope/screen?

Yes, a keyed CW-type signal at +/- 2.5 KHz from the carrier frequency
will be produced. You can hear the 2.5 KHz audio using AM detection, or
better yet use the CW mode on the radio and a narrow CW filter to tune
in either of the signals created by the modulating tone (select the
carrier above or below the main carrier based on the best copy) as you
would a CW signal.

The speed of CW in QRSS is too slow to easily copy by ear. Using a
freeware audio spectrum analyzer program like Spectran or Argo running
on a PC and with the receiver set to CW mode with a narrow filter tuned
to one of the carriers created by the modulation tone is the best way to
decode these signals. You can dig a lot farther down into the noise that
way.

Rick Kunath