Re: [IRCA] WinRadio/Griffin powermate

Hi Craig and list,

It turned out that my problem with the Powermate was that I needed to
download a new driver, as the one that came with the unit on the CD was not
ready for prime time. The Powermate works by emulating keystrokes of the
host software, so to use it to tune the WinRadio, for example, you just
associate a "left turn" on the Powermate with a down arrow on the keyboard
(which will move frequency down on WinRadio) and a "right turn" with the up
arrow. I have the Powermate on the desk right next to the mouse, so I can
easily go from those controls that only work with the mouse to frequency
tuning.

Although I won't really be able to give the WinRadio a real workout until
the DX returns in the fall, it seems to perform on a par with my Icom 756
ProII. There are several ways to tune from the screen, you can set an
infinite number of bandwidths, put descriptions under frequencies, create
memory files with 1000 memories each, and there is a lot of technical and
spectrum info displayed for those so inclined. The other neat thing is that
you can record 20 KHz of IF (you can also record audio directly, although I
just open Total Recorder and record directly to it) and play it back
(demodulate it) later just as if you were receiving it for the first time.

But speaking as an everyday "appliance operator" DXer, I find it the most
straightforward of the SDRs that I have seen so far. Of course, after
twiddling knobs for so many years, I was surprised how easy it was to adapt.
But I think being used to computers in general helps in that regard.

Chris Black,
Cape Cod