Re: [IRCA] Daytime band scan Seaside 157 Vancouver 60

Re: [IRCA] Daytime band scan Seaside 157 Vancouver 60

Hi Dennis,

I know a bit about KOHI. It was put on the air back in the 50s by  Joe
Allen, CE. Later he was the CE for KLIQ & KOIN.  I really nice guy. He
died back around 1990. I have a QSL letter from KOHI about 1969. Later
the station was sold to Volcano Broadcasting (Ken Karge & Forrest
Smith). Ken owned KSWB for years and Forrie Smith worked for Ken. It was
Forrie's dream to own a station, so the two of them went in and bought
it together. Forrie ran the station and Ken was a silent partner. Forrie
worked his tail off for 20 years at KOHI and got burnt out. I ran into
Ken just before they sold it as he still lives in Seaside.  Ken said
they were happy to sell the station. Ken & Forrie moved the station and
tower to a new location some years ago. The station used to be right on
Hy 30. I have a pix of it somewhere. The tower was right behind the
station. The station always had trouble making it, being in the shadow
of Portland. As a DJ told me back in the 70s "Everybody listens to
Portland". the same was true about Longview WA stations being less than
50 miles from Portland. But KOHI has never been a money maker. KOHI is
one of those stations. When you buy it, you buy yourself a job, as Ken
said more than once.
But if they are running only 500 watts, it is an amazing signal. At
least it was the other day.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin