Re: [IRCA] Legal scope of TIS content?

--- "Mesa Mike, Lost Almost NM" <mwdx@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Can some TIS stations get permission to broadcast other kinds of
> info?
> I ask, because there is a TIS station here in Los Alamos WQFJ525 1610
> kHz, licensed to the county that is not catering to travellers, but
> the local residents.

*** There are lots of these. I am aware of a dozen or so in NJ and
downstate NY which are owned and operated by the local governments.
They are used, in case of an actual emergency for such purpose. When
there are local events of interest to tourists they can do that too. In
the absence of or in supplement of those, these stations routinely
broadcast local news and events of interest to the local population.

Now as to whether or not the FCC lets this go knowing that the big boys
don't cover anything local, I can't say....

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id