[IRCA] Another data point in the CFL discussion (was: CFB (Compact Florescent Blubs))

[IRCA] Another data point in the CFL discussion (was: CFB (Compact Florescent Blubs))

OK, I admit I was skeptical of CFL's after this thread got started. I
too had heard lots of bad things concerning their RF noisiness, and had
bad experiences over the years in hotels where they were used. So, I
went to Walmart today and bought two different models of these lights to
see whether they are the bane of DXers or not.

The two lamps I purchased were the Philips 14 watt Soft White A19 and
the GE 13 watt Energy Smart. Both claimed light output similar to 60
watt incandescent bulbs. Both were less than $4.00 US each. Each claim ~
7000-8000 hour life, roughly 7-8 times a normal incandescent light life.
The Philips light was shaped like a traditional incandescent bulb, which
means it will work with lampshades that clamp directly onto the bulb.
Both lamps became uncomfortably warm to the touch after using them for a
period of one hour.

Both packages contained a notice that the lamp contains mercury and
should be "managed in accordance with disposal laws." Both gave the
following web address for more information: www.lamprecycle.org.

While both lamps had references to being compliant with FCC Part 18
Rules, the GE lamp had an extensive disclaimer that it might cause
interference to radios and TVs, and that it should not be used near
communications equipment operating between .45-30 MHz.

[Push the pause button for a moment: If the manufacturer's own
instructions are to specifically avoid using the product near
navigation, communication or maritime safety equipment, I do not see how
the government can outright ban all incandescent lighting since to do so
would violate these instructions! What would we do for lighting in those
situations??]

On to the test. My setup was a RadioShack DX-398 portable with the
telescopic whip fully extended. The radio was located about 2 feet from
a desk lamp which contained the bulb. I checked a number of frequencies
in the LW and MW bands from 198 - 1700 kHz. While there were a number of
buzzes and noises on the radio throughout the scans, none of them were
attributable to the CFL. As a matter of fact, even with the antenna
touching the bulb, there was no additional noise when the lamp was
turned on. Nada.

One thing I did notice was that, if I cupped the bulb in my hand, the
radio picked up a rather nasty buzz - I presume that I was becoming a
big antenna for what noise did exist in this case. If I placed the radio
where it actually was touching the bulb, it also would pick up a very
loud buzz. But the buzz fell away to the point it was non-existent about
3 inches away.

I'm an electrical engineer by training, and I feel pretty convinced that
these bulbs are not a great danger to the radio listening community (at
least on LW and MW). While I don't particularly care for the color of
the lighting, I imagine that after a day or two you would get used to
it. I plan on leaving the two bulbs in use in my radio room for the
foreseeable future for further analysis and testing. If I do find out
anything negative, you can be sure I will report it here.

Brett Saylor
Central PA