[IRCA] U.S. automakers not jumping into HD Radio

[IRCA] U.S. automakers not jumping into HD Radio

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/printarticle.aspx?feed=OBR&date=20070426&id=6807502

"I don't think there are too many American carmakers jumping on this. It's a
fairly expensive proposition to put that technology in a vehicle and there's
no certainty around the revenues associated with it," said Rick Lee,
executive director of satellite radio services for GM unit OnStar.

"We don't know if there's demand there or not and we're not inclined to test
that market," he said.

WHAT A SHAME, THAT'S DOWNRIGHT UN-AMERICAN TO NOT THROW MONEY DOWN A HOLE IN
THE GROUND.

The industry, led by radio operators such as Clear Channel Communications
Inc. and CBS Corp. , has pledged to spend $250 million on marketing HD Radio
through a group known as the HD Digital Radio Alliance, led by Peter
Ferrara.

Ferrara said he was confident the technology would succeed with consumers
and Detroit automakers.

"We have 11 automotive manufacturing agreements and 55 car models are
sourced and committed. We're under confidentiality (agreements), so we can't
disclose them, but they are not GM, Ford and Chrysler. They've made a
conscious decision to wait and see," Ferrara said.

YUGO IS THE SETTING THE PACE.

"Some car companies are leaders and some are followers," he said, adding
that GM has indicated to the alliance that it planned to be a
"fast-follower" for HD Radio.

"When they sense there is enough market demand to support putting it in
their cars, they'll do it," he said.

HOLD YOUR BREATH BUT MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PLENTY OF O2 AROUND.

It's just a matter of time."

HAHAHAHAHA! I WONDER WHAT THIS GUY IS SMOKING?

Bob Young
Analogville, MA