Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] Re: WGN Xmtr. Maintenance Period

Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] Re: WGN Xmtr. Maintenance Period

Nothing much heard here in Rochester with WGN off...I heard and taped
the signoff at 0207 EDT, then set up timer recordings for TOH the rest
of the night and got just a bunch of electrical noise and no sign of
anything else until WGN returned just after 0559 EDT, at which point it
was much weaker than it had been at signoff.

Checked WBBM at 0210 EDT and it was still on, so presumably whatever
work was being done up the road at WGN was purely transmitter-related
and didn't involve the antenna system.

I'm thinking that if I were doing engineering CBS, which owns both WBBM
and WSCR, I'd put a 5- or 10-kW rig for WBBM at the WSCR site, feeding
the auxiliary tower there, so that WBBM could stay on the air even if
WGN was doing antenna work. I guess whatever revenue WBBM produces
overnight isn't worth the cost of such a setup for an occasional outage.