[IRCA] WSME-1120 Revisited

Good Morning Mr. Phelps....oops!

    A casual (recon) drive down 24E this AM netted some interesting
information. A 2-tower array was noted at Camp Lejeune TLZ (tactical
landing zone) Robin. This is aboard Camp Lejeune. However, checking
Google Earth and then the FCCs antenna database, neither tower is
listed. Seems somewhat strange to have two large towers sitting in close
proximity to where helos/Ospreys might land, but what do I know? Note:
heading 24-East, the towers are not readily visible, but approaching via
24-West, they stick out like a sore thumb. Red/white markings. The truck
radio had WSME on 1100-1140 and a bit more on either side. Are they IBOC
now? Hmmm.

    Re-checked the FCC coordinates for WSME and they show the tower on
the north side of 24-E. I'll check that out on another trip.

    Note to would-be photographers and investigators: Camp Lejeune MPs
do NOT take kindly to someone taking pictures even in the general
direction of the Base. Also, they have arrest/deadly force authority off
base, if deemed appropriate. A photographer for "The Daily News" was
detained off base, even with Press credentials, because he was taking
pictures that included part of Camp Lejeune:

http://www.jdnews.com/news/base_47295___article.html/military_police.html

Folks, I've been a DXer for a number of years, but I'll be damned if
I'll chance looking down the wrong end of a 9mm for the sake of the hobby!

    Mike - keeping low in Jacksonville!