Re: [IRCA] Towers and government

> there is one thing I have learned when dealing with situations like
this,
> it's that it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

Words of wisdom spoken by Grace Hopper, US Navy, perhaps a
colonel, a computer science pioneer, a legend in that field, years ago.

It was Hopper who coined the term "bugs" (in computer programs)
after having to clean bugs out of the relay contacts and switches
in the computers of the day, which caused them to fail. (The computers
then would fill a small warehouse)

> If I recall, Gene Faltus was their engineer before the fellow who did
the
> balloon trick.  Gene is a good guy, and did run DX tests from the
place.  I
> think Gene is in the Hartford area.  I should look up his ham call
address
> and drop him a note.  It's been years since I spoke with him.  There
should
> be a number of QSLs from Gene for WKFD.

I've got one, for an ET I heard one night. He sent me a very nice
letter,
and I was gung ho for New Englanders in that area, so very much
appreciated. Around the same era that I managed to get a v/l + coverage
map from WFEA Manchester NH a notorious non-verifier, also on 1370.

I did it by telephoning the night jock a few times before their 0125
s/off,
played their local quality audio back to him through a phone coupler,
which really impressed him, finally asking for a v/l

Some DXers are too cheap to use the telephone. Their loss.

- Bob