Re: [IRCA] Commercial Stations on Federal Property

At 06:19 PM 4/16/2007 -0700, you wrote:
>First -- not ALL military bases are federal property.   Some are rented
>and like Fort Lewis, Washington -- .  Most of the base is State Property
>and some is owned by private land owners as well as other federal
>agencies.   FM channel 104.9 A was allocated at one time to San Clemente,
>California.  The only possible transmitter location -- would have to be on
>Camp Pendleton.  One General said that he would "Give his permission" to
>rent a small area for such a transmitter location.   A new Base Commander
>-- later said he would not -- and all 16 pending applications --- and the
>channel were dismissed and deleted.  Under FCC rules -- a Military Base --
>can be a "city of license".  It is possible -- but not likely.
>____________________

Mike,

The point I'm trying to make is that the ultimate authority for broadcast
operations on
a military base is the federal entity in charge, that branch of the
military. By the same
reasoning, a Greenville (NC) station would have to get authorization from
IBB to build before
they could apply to the FCC for a CP on VOA property.

That said, it could be done, especially if it makes for good community
relations.

Charles

Charles A Taylor, WD4INP
Greenville, North Carolina