Re: [IRCA] Flooding in Northeast

--- David Hochfelder <xxmugginsxx@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Central NJ got over 5 inches of rain, Rutgers classes are canceled
> today and
> tomorrow, the Raritan has overflowed its banks and closed most of the
> bridges, etc.  This might be a good opportunity for DXers outside of
> the
> affected area to log some new ones.
>
> My wife and I dodged a real bullet:  just had a bit of water in the
> basement, which we were able to deal with by using towels.  One of my
> coworkers has 3 feet of water in her basement.

Other places have had it much worse - Upstate NY, Vermont, NH and Maine
have been hit with a lot of snow. North of NYC there is flooding.
There's significant flooding in Southern NJ, also NE and SW of
Philadelphia.

NYC Central Park had nearly 8 inches. A bit up from there was nearly
nine.

We had about 5 here, and I had lots of water in the basement, and still
do. The normal groundwater level is still high and water is still
seeping in along the lower parts of the basement walls. Last night I
had the sump pump tip over, waking me ( 2 stories up ) after an unknown
time with the noise. Fixed that but a few hours later the float became
wedged against the pit wall resulting in an inch or more of water all
over the basement before I want back to check around 3 am.

I managed to secure the pump by drilling a small hole into the concrete
block, and inserting a screw anchor and then a screw eye, and loopping
some wire around the pump stem and tying it off onto the screw eye.
That seems to be holding. Now if only the groundwater level would start
to recede. Needless to say, with all of that water, nothing in the
shack will be operating tonight and I'm too tired from lost sleep to
use a portable to listen for emergency broadcasts.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id