Re: [IRCA] Long ago KNBA Vallejo.

Quoting Marc DeLorenzo <midcapemarc@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Very interesting, Dennis.    I heard the same type of thing on 1030 kHz  in
> Georgia in the late 80's.  I was sitting in my car listening to the sign-off
> announcement of WNOW-1030 in Mint Hill (Charlotte), NC.    At the end of the
> announcement, the guy said "Now stay right here on 1030 for the great sound
> of WBZ Boston."  As soon as WNOW cut its carrier, WBZ came in right on cue!

My father, who was in the advertising business in the 50s and 60s, knew a
number of radio station personnel.   The reason he was given for stations going
24 hours even though they had few listeners at 3 AM is, that it was found that
if a listener was ever up late at night, and couldn't find their normal station
on the air, they'd tune somewhere else, and leave the radio on that channel for
good.

I guess a variant of that would be trying to make sure your listeners stayed on
your channel after your sign off, enjoying the station that was there, which
meant the radio would still be tuned to your frequency when you signed on the
next day.

Nick