Re: [IRCA] Another perspective on AM IBOC

Re: [IRCA] Another perspective on AM IBOC

Kevin,

IBOC does not have static. True. However, there often is no signal
either. If analog goes away, then AM radio goes away. There is no
coverage with IBOC. You drive under powerlines, the digital goes away.
It just is not there. In the future, I am not sure if radio will have
many people listening anyway. Especially AM, when there are so many
choices.
With me, as a DXer, when driving my 1997 Dodge Carivan, I generally
listen to cassette. In the 89 Dodge I use for work, I only have AM & FM,
so I listen to the radio there. Like last night, I bought "Vivo", the
2000 Concert of Luiz Migel in Monterrey, Mexico. A great concert. I
liked it so much, I recorded the audio soundtrack off the DVD to play in
the van on cassette. My relatives listen to either CD or XM Radio in
their cars. With so many choices, radio is not a high priority for most
people.
As my old friend Chuck Boehnke used to say. "Radio isn't broke, so don't
fix it". A truer statement could not have been made.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
KAVT Reception Manager