Re: [IRCA] Another perspective on AM IBOC, from the broadcasters' mailing list

kevin redding wrote:
>> No one is going to shut off their analog. No way.
>
> Keep your head in the sand. The FCC will eventually mandate it.

So you keep saying.

The motivation for the digital conversion on TV was marketplace-driven:
it allowed the OTA TV spectrum to be collapsed into a smaller footprint,
freeing up desirable 700 MHz frequencies that could be auctioned.

There is no such advantage to be gained from forcing stations in the
existing AM and FM bands to go all-digital. Absent that, there's no
motivation for a forced conversion.

It's simply not an issue that's on the table right now in any of the
industry circles in which I travel.

Could it happen 10 or 20 years out? I suppose it's possible, but as wise
heads like Harry Helms will be happy to tell you, the odds are pretty
good that so much of the content-delivery mechanism will have changed by
then, it won't even matter if and when it happens.

Harry's absolutely right: the action's in things like audio delivery to
cellphones, not in a technological detour like the AM IBOC system.