[IRCA] Phasing and IBOC/Many legged EWEs

[IRCA] Phasing and IBOC/Many legged EWEs

I have been doing a bit of experimentation tonight phasing between
different antennas.
   In phasing the SW EWE with the WNW EWE, I can either get a Southerly
lobe or the Northerly Lobe. The Northerly one is more exact and kills
most signals from everything other directions, leaving the NW/N/NNE. The
Bay area stations are poor at best with the Northern lobe. Probably if
there is an issue with IBOC hash from the South of me, it would be very
little. LA is not much of an issue being nearly 1,000 miles away anyway.
The Bay area is my main issue to the South. Using the Northerly lode, I
get Seattle "Very Strong". Stations like KIRO 710 that sits at S9+30DB
is more like S9+40-50 DB. So if a lot of Puget Sound stations go IBOC, I
am in trouble, as I get most of them. Vancouver BC is also almost as
strong, but several of the Vancouver stations do put most of their
signal back into Canada, so not quite as strong with the exception of
CBU-690 that sits at S9+40+ DB using the Northerly lobe. CBU is
directional down the coast. So with that, IBOC probably will not be much
of a problem. But I will be left with BC, Alberta,Sask, Alaska, and NE
Asians.
  Now going 180 degrees around with a Southerly lobe for DUs and the
Pacific, I will have to deal with IBOC from California. With a beverage
pointed to the West I might beable to get around the California
stations, but unfortunately where I live I have no room to run a
beverage to the West, so that is out. So with the SW EWE or phasing with
the two EWEs with a southerly lobe, I will have to deal with Northern
Californian IBOC.
   As Craig stated earlier, sure you can phase the IBOC noise as you can
anything, but if I phase CA, I also knock out a whole lot of the DU
signals too. The only way around that would be to live South of
California (Mexico or Central America), so Phasing the North you would
get rid of CA stations leaving a nice lobe towards DUland.
   One other thought, I have had in the back of my mind for a number of
years is a 3 or 4 legged EWE, giving a DXer a more of a directional
pattern, as with a directional array. I fiqure the phasing box would be
quite complicated to do that, but that might be a possibility. If it
could be done, a good lobe to the SW might be obtained nulling the South
more. Setting up the 3 or 4 legged EWE with a pot  for each leg. The
possibilities could be endless. In theory, it should work. Maybe 5 legs
or 10 legs even.  You could cut your pattern down to sharp degrees
nulling everything except in the few degrees you aim for. Anyone have
thoughts on that?

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin