Re: [IRCA] Another perspective on AM IBOC, from the broadcasters' mailing list

Re: [IRCA] Another perspective on AM IBOC, from the broadcasters' mailing list

Scott,

Maybe I was a bit too pessimestic by my statement, but Scott, as you
know I live in an area that it pretty clear of electronical noise and
away from many powerhouse stations. I am sure with a series of phased
EWE antennas, I will be able to combat a lot of the noise regarding DX
from Asia and the Pacific. I have already been able to phase the SW and
WNW EWE's to get a pretty darn tight lobe to the N/NW killing much of
the signal from the South and East. It does pretty well. I think with
more EWE's at slightly different angles from the SW to the North I may
beable to even get better results. But I have been spoiled for many
years living here on the coast. In the realm of the real world of DXing
that most have to deal with, I have avoided much of it. To think some
stupid thing like IBOC will have such a dramatic effect on our hobby, is
unthinkable in many ways. IBOC  is not even worth the paper it is
written on. Something absolutely useless. If someone would have said
this would be the future 20 years ago, I would have laughed. Generally
change does bring a lot of advatages. You lose some things and you gain
some things. But there is always a plus side. Even BPL will bring
inexpensive internet to people at the expense of more noise. But AM IBOC
has no usefull properties. Zero. Just a way for the big coimpanies to
control the air ways. Totally a waste of time and money.
  Like you, I do have other hobbies, autograph collecting, DVD/Video
collectinfg, Satellite TV, and all sorts of that. Even without the AM
band, I still have many interests. But a hobby I have loved for 45
years, going out the door this way. Well, maybe not going out the door
as yet per se, but greatly affected by a bunch of garbage. I have been a
DXer of Short Wave almost as long as MW, so that too is an option.
  But I will be fighting to keep what I can DXwise on the MW Band. I
don't give up and I wont. I am happy I do live in a rural area. At least
there are more options. But as KAZ has said, my Eastern beverage may not
be of much use with so many of the 50 KWer Coast to Coast stations go
the Buzz Saw direction. I already see that to a point. Time will tell.
Those row of trees in the backyard (If I don't lose more in the high
winds. I already have lost two), may have a series of 50-100 foot EWEs
in them in the future.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin