Re: [IRCA] CIMS00000342758 - FCC Consumer Center response from representative...

Re: [IRCA] CIMS00000342758 - FCC Consumer Center response from representative...

Dear Mike -

  Contrary to boasts of HD is 'a done deal!' and 'our inevitable digital
future', it is neither.

FCC approved temorary authorization for Public Comment Period - Period.

Trade pubs this week make it clear why HD promoters want us to overlook that
point.

HD backers, subsequent to last week's ruling, are promoting:

   "Conditional Access", to pre-paid shows on 'appropriately unlocked' HD
receivers.

"Appropriately Unlocked' receivers? Has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?

 They assure us, this applies solely to streams, and never - heaven forfend!
- to their main digital channel. How could one even imply such impure designs?

 This is the same group who breezily denies all interference, and tells us we
shouldn't listen to anything other than a local station - provided it's owned
by one of the Big Boys.

 Do they make it clear, there is more at stake than DXng opportunities?
'DXers' are singled out by HD promoters as examples of persons to be ignored in the
Commentary Period.

  How can they make this any more obvious? Not to worry. They will.

 This is a fine opportunity to alert others to the love emanating from this
cartel.

                                                  Paul V. Zecchino

PS - Radio World today, www.rwonline  features a petulant editorial which
reinforces the above - HD is by no means a 'done deal'. Editorial's distinct tone
is best described as,' if we don't get our final rules now, HD backers will
pick up their marbles and go home'.

Why the false sense of urgency? One thing is certain, it always suggests
ulterior motives.