Re: [IRCA] KSL-1160 or KOA-850, anyone?

I heard KSL 1160 on my first night of BCB DXing in 1977 from Worcester, Ma
with an RCA 811K console (which actually is a pretty good radio, very
sensitive and fairly selective for a radio that was made to sound good,
still got it) and a 300' random LW antenna. I just parked on 1160 for about
15 minutes at about 1 am and started hearing a noise come slowly fading up
from the background noise, it got louder and louder until it was in fairly
clearly for maybe 10-15 minutes if I recall correctlly. It was easy, I'm
almost positive it was the only US station on that frequency at night back
then early in the morning. I never heard them again. I used to get WBAP 820
easy here almost every night also. Never heard KOA or WOAI here. I was never
what you would call a diligent DXer back in those days but it was much
easier back then, the airwaves were much less cluttered and there were very
few canned formats so you actually heard station ID's and local ads, time,
weather, news etc. domestic DX was a lot more fun back then. If you heard a
midwestern station back East here you actually felt like you were
eavesdropping on another culture, were getting a hint of what it was like to
live out there, you could here farm forecasts commercials, etc. Was a very
different time from the bland, boring, homogenized radio you hear nowadays.
This may be a big part of the reason I very rarely DX domestic stuff
anymore, the content is just too boring. It was also much eaiser to ID
stations back then because of the local content and steady ID's every 15
minutes.

Bob Young
Millbury, Ma
KB1OKL