[IRCA] Strange conditions

We have a Pacific storm going on with the "Pineapple express" which we
normally don't get by March, but we have wind gusts of 50 MPH and
tonight for 3 hours, got an inch of rain. About 2 inches all day.
  OK, strange conditions off the R8 and outdoor antennas. First of all
up and down the dial I am getting (I call it a coastal effect), a
hissing and places with weak distorted audio from 500w local KSWB 9
miles away. I don't hear it on a portable, but I do get the noise.
Atmospheric I am sure. Lots of Pacific stuff like Tonga 1017, Marshalls
1098, Fiji 558, 639, 684, etc, but a lot of noise from the storm or the
pressure system. I have heard this before but not as intense. NO
crackling of anything like this, just with hissing across the band and
garbled audio mainly affecting LW & the lower part of MW. The higher in
frequency the less it is.
   I remember driving across the bridge from Warrenton into Astoria one
morning in the 70s with a storm and all I got across the radio dial (AM)
was a howl. Infact it wiped out the locals and I was less than a mile
from KAST 1370! It almost seemed like the steel piping on each side of
the bridge was acting like a cap of something. As soon as I got off the
bridge the noise disappeared.
   Many odd things have happened here on the coast through the years
that I have never been able to explain. Again, I just call it the
coastal effect.
   Do any of you engineers have any explanation for such things?
   By the way, as soon as this storm passes, the noise will be gone. It
always does.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin