Re: [IRCA] "Cheating" versus "stuck relays"

--- Charles A Taylor <MWDXer@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> And another thing, blah, blah:
>
> We accuse stations of  "cheating," and since suddenly I'm in the
> "sensitive" mode (HI):
>
> We should remember that many stations are, at least partially,
> computer-controlled, and so are susceptible to all the whims that
> computers have.

I believe the choice of the word "Cheating", inasmuch as it strongly
implies willful intent, is the problem. I don't see why DX'ers cannot
simply say that WXXX is on the air tonight ( or has been the past 2
nights ) when the station is a daytimer. When the station has low night
power, one could say simply that they're not normally heard at night at
the DX'er's location.

Unfortunately, too many DX'ers are too quick to jump to the conclusion
of cheating. Many do not consider that it is possible that a station
may have a legitimate PSSA and be using it, although that's obviously
not a factor once it gets to be 2 hours after LSS at the station in
question. And I have absolutely seen many DX'ers say something about
cheating the very first night a station is on when it shouldn't be.

But the fact remains that most of those who label stations as cheating
really have no sure idea of whether or not that's even probable and
don't make sufficient attempt to rule out other possibilities if they
can before firing off a post.

Case in point, recently WLFJ-660-SC was on overnight. It was that way
Friday and Saturday nights, and perhaps also on Sunday night. Chances
are the CE wasn't due in until Monday, so it was almost a certainty
we'd hear them at least the two nights in a row if it was indeed some
sort of program or mechanical failure. No intent, got fixed by Monday
night.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]