Re: [IRCA] We now return you to your regularly scheduled DXing

--- Les Rayburn <les@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Speaking of DXing, I could use some advice from my betters. As you
> may recall, I'm
> entering into a deed restricted neighborhood with a no-nonsense
> homeowners
> association.

*** Good luck - that type of HOA quickly can go over the top and become
the legendary HOA Nazi's we've all heard horror stories about.

> My questions are legion, but here are the big ones:
>
> 1. Should I terminate the beverage antenna, concentrating most
> of it's pattern towards the South? I have few LA loggings, other
> than Cuba. But then again, my Spanish is not so good.
>
> If I leave it unterminated, I might be able to snag some more
> stations to the North, including much needed New England...but
> I'd have to phase out those Southern signals.

I would run no more than 1500' ( more probably won't do you any good,
and even so you may have to shorten it ) unterminated. There's lots of
stations to your North.

> 3. As some may know, I'm a Westerner at heart, and
> love to log new "K" calls more than anything. Alas,to
> the West are several neighbors homes, ruling out
> any wires in that direction. Any suggestions on
> how I could continue to log stations in that direction?
>
> Perhaps an EWE or something? But it can't be higher than
> the eight foot tall privacy fence.

With an 8' height restriction, you're largely stuck. An indoor loop
seems to be the only reasonable alternative.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id