Re: [IRCA] KXEL deserves a reprimand or license revocation

--- Mike McKenna <way2twohot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Broadcasting is a business.  All of the wonderful ideas that you say
> that broadcasting should be -- are NOT a requirement of the FCC nor a
> matter of law.    The real world of broadcasting is money -- not
> community service.   Electric companys charge for their service.
> Radio stations must pay for the electric that they use.  Radio
> Stations don't get a brake or discount in an emergency.  Al Gore and
> his buddys re-wote the communications act back in 1996.  Things have
> changed.  Wake up and smell the dead bodys of broadcasting.  It
> smells for what it is.  A dead whale on the beach.  And Al Gore and
> Congress are to blame for the mess and auctions.   The only thing
> that does count is CASH.     There is no requirement to be a GOOD
> broadcaster.   Just one that makes money.

*** A businessperson makes choices. It is entirely conceivable that
having had this experience, and even without seeing anything of this
thread, may now see things in a different light. We live, we
expoerience stuff, and hopefully we learn from it.

However, without getting political here, I'm not aware that Al Gore had
much to do with that piece of legislation, as he was VP at the time, no
in the Senate, and both houses were heavily controlled by the other
side. Several current and former Congressmen did, however.

Finally, KXEL's situation aside, there is another aspect of
broadcasting which some folks seem to undervalue - that is that the
airwaves are a public commodity and have certain standards stipulated
in the law and in their licenses to meet. The FCC does, occasionally,
nonrenew or revoke a license for violations of those, so it is about a
bit more than making money.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]