Re: [IRCA] KXEL deserves a reprimand or license revocation

Mike McKenna wrote:
> Broadcasting is a business.  All of the wonderful ideas that you say
> that broadcasting should be -- are NOT a requirement of the FCC nor a
> matter of law.    The real world of broadcasting is money -- not
> community service.   Electric companys charge for their service.
> Radio stations must pay for the electric that they use.  Radio
> Stations don't get a brake or discount in an emergency.  Al Gore and
> his buddys re-wote the communications act back in 1996.  Things have
> changed.  Wake up and smell the dead bodys of broadcasting.  It
> smells for what it is.  A dead whale on the beach.  And Al Gore and
> Congress are to blame for the mess and auctions.   The only thing
> that does count is CASH.     There is no requirement to be a GOOD
> broadcaster.   Just one that makes money.

Re-read what I wrote. This IS about cash, not about FCC requirements.
You can't make any money if you're off the air for a week, and if you've
ever listened to a radio station after a big natural disaster like this,
you know there's lots of money to be made from insurance companies,
power companies and so on advertising their services to disaster victims.

KXEL's not making a penny of it, because they're not on the air. (They
don't even have anything on their website explaining why they're not on
the air, which is just sad.) That's neither good broadcasting nor good
business sense, nor does it have a thing to do with whatever political
spin you're trying to put on it, or whatever else it is that you seem to
be so incoherently angry about.

Bottom line: if KXEL had spent X number of dollars (probably less than
the cost of the GM's new car) on a generator at some point before the
ice storm, they'd have recouped multiple times that amount just in
increased sales over the past week, never mind the goodwill that's been
lost as a result of their lengthy absence from the airwaves. End of story.