Re: [IRCA] KXEL deserves a reprimand or license revocation

Mike McKenna wrote:
> Having a back-up power system is NOT an FCC requirement.  They have a
> radio tower and a studio -- so they deserve a gold star -- not a
> fine.

A gold star? Hardly.

If you're setting out to serve the public, emergency conditions like
this are precisely when that service is most needed. Whether or not a
generator is an FCC requirement, and it's not, there's still a higher
expectation that a class A signal like KXEL will be prepared for the
likelihood that at some point, it will lose utility power.

It's also just good business sense; the revenue KXEL is surely losing by
not being on the air for a week must have far outweighed what a
generator would have cost by now.

At least KXEL isn't an EAS LP-1 or LP-2 station for its region - though
one of its sister FMs, KFMW 107.9, is, and I think it lost power as well.

Any radio station that wants to portray itself as a supplier of vital
information to its community should make room in the budget for a backup
supply of power to keep it on the air when its services are most needed.
  You think the people of north central Iowa won't remember that KXEL
was missing in action this week?