Re: [IRCA] Sierra Leone not Dakar

> Sierra Leone 1205. never heard here either. I do well remember the
> reports on Dakar and Sierra Leone though. KZOO used to be quite a
> powerhouse here on the coast. Infact in the early 80s, they would be
> dominant at times. Conditions do change. The Pacific just does not
have
> the signals they once had.
>
> 73,
>
> Patrick

I had bits from Freetown on 1205 but never got to report them,
listening from NY. My recollection from about 1963 was
that they were then on 1200. I recall Ron Schiller was probably
the first to bag them, but he had thought it was Accra, Ghana
based on program content such as ads for an airline. I am
sure this logging survives in an old DXN from that era.

I am another who believes the Pacific stations do not have
the reach inland they used to. I had logs of a few of the "common"
ones (Hawaiians, Tarawa, Tonga, some Aus/NZ), all on tape,
and they, now being on splits, would be expected to also be
heard as well now as then. I believe the prop has gotten
a bit worse, and the increased noise level (s/b splash, machinery
noise) is also contributing. And when I say the prop is worse,
I refer to the best of the current cycle, compared to the best
of previous cycles. But nowadays even carriers are very
difficult to detect in the east when similar receiving gear
(typ. indoor loops) is used. Back then it was not terribly
unusual to get carriers well enough to yield some audio. The
problem was to hold the audio long enough to assemble
a credible reception report. Stations such as 4QD, then on
1550 (1973-ish) would fade in about the same time as
the Puerto Rico WKFE would s/on. I had a few times when
bits of talking in presumed Aus. accent were heard, but
with unreportable lack of detail. (This was from LI NY)
If the prop was the same, 4QD on 1548 should be
heard just as well, but they aren't. This was on a HQ-150
and 4-foot indoor loop.

Some might argue that the prop is the same, and the increase
in noise is all the difference. I really don't know for sure.

I was fortunate to get a qsl from Dakar 764, a nice f/d folder
with picture, and a bi-lingual narrative "trompe l'oeil sur le
Senegal" 764 kc 200 kW

- Bob       2345 est