Re: [IRCA] A PSSA/PSRA Rant

> FYI, for anyone wondering, WABV signs off at SUNSET every night, as we
can't
> legally funciton at night and cease operations since we cant drop to our
> PSSA or night Authorizaiton

If you have a transmitter that uses the common 833A as a final and
modulator, you very likely can get it down to 27 watts.  I mentioned
recently that by putting a large Variac (variable AC autotranformer) to feed
the high voltage and bias supplies, I got an ancient GE XT-1A transmitter
down to 25 watts.  And it sounded fine.  It may not be type accepted down to
that level, but it might also be grandfathered in.  It might be worth
investigating.

I don't know if a transmitter that used a different tube type such as a
4-400A could similarly be dropped to such a low power cleanly.

Chances are you could look on eBay and get a suitable variac.

Just toss in a few code IDs after midnight if you get it to work.  (grin)

Craig Healy
Providence, RI