Re: [IRCA] A PSSA/PSRA Rant

> Why cant I just stay and plain old 27  watts?

That's weird.  I've never heard of a situation where a station had more
power at night than during some other hours.  Perhaps some not-too-distant
station has a PSSA but no night power?  You would have to protect them
during those hours, but not later when they are off?  Sure, there are
stations with bigger power at night and a directional antenna, but not
little powers like this.  Very weird..

It is possible to make a large attenuator to dissipate some power and run
the same transmitter at the same power after daylight hours.  Probably could
be done with some relays.  Do you have some sort of audio automation that
has relay outputs to control things?  That usually can be cobbled up to do
what you need.  Otherwise, Broadcast Tools has a relatively inexpensive
switcher meant for that sort of thing.  What's the minimum power your
transmitter will put out comfortably?

I have used a timer/controller from Grainger to do pretty much what you
need, but it's over a grand these days.  I think it cost about $400 when I
first used it.

There are ways to make that happen, and probably not all that expensive when
you're dealing with under a hundred watts.  Drop me a note off list if you
want to follow up.

To be honest, I think there ought to be some minimum power assigned, maybe
20-25 watts.  Less than that is pretty silly.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI