Re: [IRCA] TPs for 2-18

At 06:28 AM 2/18/2007, you wrote:

>Today I only hear carriers on 594, 693, 747 and 774 all very weak and just above the noise level at 1350-1410 UT.  Did not hear a carrier on 1566 for the first time for several days.
>
>Bill Blcok
>Prescott Valley, AZ
>Drake R8

Bill and the gang, I just returned home from the Queen Charlottes.  I again monitored between 13:45 and 17:00 or so.  Plenty of action.  I can honestly say that there's audio on just about every channel across the band this morning (not the X-band, though), and most were readable (a 7/10) and many at 8, 9 and even 10/10 armchair local quality.  This includes the 10 kHz channels, when the 9 kHz stations happen to coincide with North America.  I'm truly awed over the quality of the DX.  Almost glad I don't live there....I'd never get any sleep!  It's very easy to get overly inundated with too much of a good thing there.  This morning, the Japanese and Koreans dominated.  Many (or most) of the North Korean channels propagated quite well.  China also was back with good strength as well.  Heard the odd Russian.  Didn't notice any Aussies this morning, though.  The Beverage preferred was my N/S today.  This is in contrast to the past few days where the W/E Beverage was clearly the dominant antenna.  At dawn today, though, the preferred direction did swing to the West, which makes sense to me since it would be more in darkness than the N/S direction.  I'm also assuming that for those days that the W/E Beverage dominated throughout, there must have been ionospheric skewing going on, avoiding the auroral zone.

Clearly my observations were many times better than what's been heard down here.  I'm assuming that I'm far enough north to avoid more of the auroral zone than my friends further south.  Possibly too, it's strictly a function of where the sun is in the sky and the longer darkness in the morning (the sun rises more around 8:30 am up there).  Comments always welcome.

I'll be gradually analyzing the 20 or so hours of mp3 files recorded and making the best clips available for everyone's enjoyment.  Stay tuned!  ..........Walt Salmaniw, Victoria, BC

Checked by AVG Free Edition.