Re: [IRCA] recorded the iboc

Marty's recording sounds similar to what I hear on my local IBOC
stations (WHAM 1180, WHTK 1280, WLGZ 990) when I listen on an AM stereo
receiver such as my Carver TX11b tuner. It's my understanding that the
envelope detection those tuners use, combined with their especially wide
IF, don't phase out the IBOC sidebands the way a "normal" AM radio does.

These receivers represent a tiny, tiny, tiny fraction of all the AM
receivers out there, though, especially when you get beyond the hobby
community. I've listened to AM stations running IBOC on a lot of other
tuners, from car radios to my 2010 and R8B, and have heard no sign of
the "hiss." On better radios, I can hear the bandwidth reduction that's
a tradeoff of the IBOC conversions; on lousier ones, like the stock
radio in my 2003 Jetta, there's no audible difference on analog. I'd bet
that a sizable majority of listeners are using something closer to my
crappy Jetta radio than a 2010 or R8B.

Don't get me wrong here - I think the AM IBOC system (but not the FM) is
significantly flawed, and probably unworkable in the long run for all
but a handful of very high-powered, clear channel stations. But I don't
think this particular problem will be what does it in. If it were a real
problem for anyone but a small group of hobbyists using 20 year old
radios, stations would take it much more seriously. The fact that they
don't should tell you something.