Re: [IRCA] (OT) High Speed internet update

Re: [IRCA] (OT) High Speed internet update

In your area, Sprint currently offers 1XRTT, which has a peak download speed
of about 144 kbps. That's under ideal conditions, such as a strong signal.
If you live in a sparsely populated area of Seaside, then you probably
wouldn't be competing with many other Sprint customers for the same network
resources. Translation: You'd have most of the 144 kbps to yourself. I think
you probably would get average speeds of 100 kbps.

Same for Verizon Wireless, which also uses 1XRTT in your area. At your QTH,
do you have a good, strong signal on your Verizon Wireless cell phone? If
so, then their service might be worth checking out. To test Sprint, you'd
have to find someone who has a Sprint phone and take it to your place.

Just pay close attention to pricing. If you tell them that you want it for
Internet access for your PC, you'll probably have to pay a higher rate than
the unlimited data usage packages for cell phones/smartphones. (That's
because PCs have more processing power and application capabilities, so they
can use more bandwidth in a month.) Also pay attention to how the modem
connects to your PC. Most are PC cards, which are designed for laptops. But
a few connect via USB, which is easier for desktop PCs because you don't
have to buy a card reader.

Hope that helps.