Re: [IRCA] MACAU VISIT

> Bob Foxworth wrote:
>
> > I took the hydrofoil to Macau and met the CE of Radio Vila
> > Verde-735 and nice studio/xmtr tour, also of his ham shack
> > (CR9AH a very famous ham DXer then).
>
> Did you discuss veries? I don't recall anyone ever getting a verie
> out of them (including me).
>
> Pete Taylor

I don't specifically recall a lot about veries being said, it did not
seem particularly significant. RVV 735 was mainly in Chinese
when I was there, they had a little station on 1200, I think, in
Portuguese which had been reported in Europe. The CE was
from Portugal and spoke English fairly well. His name was John
Alvarez. I still have a blank QSL card he gave me, somewhat
ironic as, despite working some 270 countries, Macau (now
XX9) was not one of them.  I'm not about to try to "fill it in" either.
The station was, I thought, quite modern for the time.

I met him by asking about it (RVV) when the hydrofoil docked at the
pier, and I bought my visa (an elaborate thing all in Portuguese
that filled the entire page of my passport, still have it) and
someone phoned the radio station for me and he was there
later on to meet me, did some sightseeing, walked up to the
Chinese border (doesn't take long to get there, in this place).

I remember his mentioning some reports mainly from Aust
and NZ. Were they not QSLing in 1965? Had no reason to
suspect they were "black", must have been in later years?

By this time it had been several months since I had seen
a copy of DX News so I wasn't particularly up to date with
DX issues.

After all this time I have visual memories but less so of
what might have been talked about. This fellow was very
gracious to devote the amount of time to me that he did,
and I was not about to say anything critical (e.g   DO YOU
QSL!!!?)

Pete you may recall a month or so after that when we had
a visit at your place in SFO. This was after crossing the
Pacific, 11 days JPN-HI and 6 days HI-SF) Two typhoons.
Daytime reception of KMTH-900 one day near Midway.

I remember DXing at your place and listening to ZCO
mixing with KDKA, late in the evening, playing the "Baby
Elephant Walk" for one..

Should have asked me about QSLs then - hi

- Bob