Re: [IRCA] WACE 730

> > Continuing the flea-power night operation thread, since I used to
> > live there and was involved with it as WXHR/WCAS, and not having been
> > back to Boston to experience its night signal, I do have to ask what
> > sort of job WJIB-740's 5 watt signal does. With CHWO blasting in, I
> > would be amazed if it makes it across the Charles River at night.
> > Thank you, respondents.
>
> Those 5 watts do amazingly well, thanks to a well-situated tower site
> and some good engineering. When I lived in Waltham, 10 miles or so west
> of the WJIB site, WJIB's 5 watts routinely covered up then-CBL's 50 kW
> most nights. I'd guess Bob reaches close to half a million people with
> his night signal, which has got to be one of the better
> power-to-listeners ratios out there!

It also shows up often down here in RI, maybe 40 miles south.  The low power
650 station from Framingham, MA is likewise common over WSM.

My first radio job was at WSAR-1480.  They had four 400' towers and signed
off at 1am nightly.  One night after signoff I put the 2w test oscillator
set to 600KHz into one of the tower feed lines. I piped some music into the
oscillator.  One of the other engineers got into his car and headed home
toward Providence.  About fifteen minutes later he called me from a pay
phone at a rest area about 15 miles west.  It was still coming in loud and
clear.

Sometimes a few watts and a good antenna can do much better than you'd
think.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI