[IRCA] rats

Hi all, I got this from another list, and thought you broadcasters on
the list would find it interesting if you hadn't seen it already.
>From Tuesday's Washington Post (1-30-07):
If you hear some scratching noises on XM radio, it's probably not
static --but it might be rats. The satellite radio's District
headquarters
is so infested with the furry little critters that the company has gone
the rat-eradication equivalent of DefCon 1.

"Those of you familiar with DC rodents know that we're looking at the
size
of small house cats," writes XM senior veep Dan Turner in an internal
memo
sent to employees on Friday.

Turner goes on to describe the gnawing dread: "Currently we have lost
the
functionality of Production Room 8 as the rodents have discovered that
the
cover on our fiber optics cables makes good nesting material. A couple
of
weeks  ago it was one of the multi-function studios that was taken out
of
commission. Tomorrow it could be a cable to a satellite uplink. It is
that
serious."

The Beltway, rat-wise, appears to be on the second floor of the XM
building,
a beautifully restored former printing factory on New York Avenue NE,
reports our colleague Paul Farhi. The crawl space under the raised
floors
"represents an eight-lane superhighway to anywhere the rats want to
go,"
writes Turner.

The broadcaster has summoned Orkin, according to spokesman Chance
Patterson,
and has enlisted the building's 600 employees in "immediate and very
aggressive eradication measures" -- that means no food and drink in the

studios (not even coffee? Eeeekk!) and all those magazines, posters and

other junk must be tossed because rats like to use them to build nests.

No shock and awe here -- Turner's ready for a long siege. "Eventually,
they'll get the building back," he concludes his memo, "but we ain't
done
with it yet."

                    Marty,
                    that was then, this is the Chinese smtp server