Re: [IRCA] OT computer

And pay attention to things that are "16-bit" related, which DOS was, and the cheapo Microsoft games (those shipped on PCs) still are for the most part.  Windows is 32-bit and sometimes 64-bit, but the switch from 16 to 32 is what was basically the demise of DOS.

  Mike

Brett Saylor <bds2@xxxxxxx> wrote:
  Tom L Jones wrote:
> Can someone tell me the latest windows that has a complete DOS
> in it ? I have lots of games & other old programs that wont
> run right or at all on XP
>
> tnx
> Tom Jones

According to Wikipedia.com, the last version to use DOS as a bootstrap
to load Windows (and then be available, once loaded, to run DOS
programs) was Windows ME. It also says that Windows NT, while not based
on DOS as were earlier versions, could run MS-DOS programs via a virtual
DOS machine, as can Windows 2000 and XP.

Google "ms-dos compatibility Windows XP" to get some pointers on making
MS-DOS apps run under XP,

Brett Saylor