Re: [IRCA] Web site not working. Any news?

On Friday 12 January 2007 16:15, Michael Hawkins wrote:
> The URL is http://www.topazdesigns.com/ambc.  People try to use shortcuts
> for URLs without realizing that one does not necessarily equal the other.
>  In this case, they definitely don't as one is the new and the other is the
> old.

Actually, that's not the case - www.topazdesigns.com is just an alias (CNAME
for the DNS cognoscenti) for topazdesigns.com, and both should resolve to the
same address.  If you're getting different results for the two names, that's
peculiar.

This is one of the perils of running a website on the cheap - my ISP may
change the IP address suddenly, and without notice.  I have the DNS records
set up such that when a change occurs, the old info should expire from
nameserver caches and be replaced within 3 hours... but apparently a lot of
ISP nameservers override this and keep the old info for 2 days or more.

Nice to know the site was missed, anyway... :-)

Barry

--
Barry McLarnon  VE3JF  Ottawa, ON