[IRCA] Decibels for dummies

The recent discussion of matching transformers brought up the subject
of decibel losses.
When I first became serious about radios as an adult, I recall my initial
ignorance of the significance of decibels as it related to audio and power
differences.  An xtl and ham radio buddy, Owen Pool, a retired Polaris
submarine skipper, and recently retired from his second career as a high
school physics teacher in St. Simons, Georgia, has on his web site an
excellent explanation of decibels which is relatively math free for the
numbers impaired.
While most of us know the significance of decibels, every now and then
someone new to the hobby may need an explanation.  Here's a link to Owen's
explanation which you may want to bookmark for providing to newcomers.
Scroll to the bottom of the page for the explanation.
http://bellsouthpwp2.net/w/u/wuggy/testing.htm

73, Gil NN4CW
Savannah GA