Re: [IRCA] "HD" DX?

> Barry, you and Craig Healy are the only reports I know of
> that have had any HD audio..

Mine was just a few seconds of WOR-710 (150 miles).  Some time back
WOWO-1190 left the IBOC on overnight.  I had some paperwork, so I put the
JVC in digital-only and let it sit.  It was at least an hour, maybe two.
Not a peep of audio.  Same with WHAM-1180 when they left theirs on.  Let it
run for a long time, no HD digital audio at all.

Local groundwave tests show half or less the radius of good-quality analog
reception.  No noise behind the analog.  If WHJJ-920 is a 30+ mile analog
signal, the HD is tapped out at under 15 miles.  FM shows a similar half
radius limit.  What that means is that it takes a bootload of signal
strength before HD can decode.  Probably more than skywave can really
deliver.  I should try WTWP-1500 and WDCD-1540 at sunset.  Those might be
the best chance, though the adjacents to 1500 are problematic, and 1540
fades a lot as it's very close to here.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI