Re: [IRCA] Recent logs from Moody, Texas

Re: [IRCA] Recent logs from Moody, Texas

James:

The -43 core is recommended down to 1 MHZ and declines in performance just a
little down to .5 MHZ so you should not have a fatal problem with the 43.

What you do need is a more turns of wire. You need a minimum of 10 turns on
the rx side and 30 on the antenna side for a -43 core at .5 MHZ. That's a
fair bit of wire to wind. Because of that, and because the losses are a
little lower, people use 73 or 77 cores for medium frequency work where you
need. For a simple, guaranteed-to-work transformer, take a look at
http://www.w8ji.com/core_selection.htm then scroll down to the Beverage
matching transformer. You'll need to change the number of turns on the
antenna side so that there are about 8 turns.

With your 6 turn winding, you have about a 66 Ohm winding across your
receiver input so basically half the signal is getting lost at .5 MHz. Does
that match up with what you mean when you say it is "dead"?

Chuck